Friday, February 27, 2009

50, 55, 60 SOLD to the gentleman in the front!

Tonight we went to the church to eat dinner and watch the labor auction in support of our students up-coming trip to the DC/LA conference.
The evening was wonderful for many reasons but my two favorites were these:
1. Dinner was catered. I love the youth and all but to my knowledge cooking mass amounts of food isn't something they teach in high school anymore. As it was the food was tasty and the students did a great job serving it.
2. There was an actual auctioneer there to facilitate the auctioning of the labor. It was pretty exciting. My good friends were able to get one of my favorite baby-sitters for $60 an hour. She was so sweet and offered to watch all of our kids so that all of us friends could go out together. We haven't been out together, just the three of us couples (no kids), in two and a half years.

On a side note. I was really happy they called it a "labor auction" instead of a "slave auction". I remember my great aunt Wilma telling the story of when her church was going to have "slave auction" for their youth. The older generation while supportive of the idea for youth to use their skills to raise money but they had a concern in regards to the word slave, especially since that's why the American Baptists and the Southern Baptist split in the first place. Anyway, I think they changed the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment