Thursday, March 5, 2009

*Ping*

On Monday I went to the dentist.
The original plan was to just fix the filling that had come out and remove all the mercury fillings. At the consultation it was discovered that due to my morning, afternoon and evening sickness during my pregnancy all my fillings were loose and in need of replacement, all 27 of them. Side note, don't let your children bite hard candy, it gets stuck in their teeth and it's all down hill from there.
Anyway. It's an all day procedure and I was sedated. Now I've always thought it would be great fun to yell "FREEDOM!!" like in Braveheart just before falling asleep. I would never really do it but it's fun to dream. So there I was in the dentist's chair and the nurse anesthetist was setting up the i.v. and then boom I was gone! He didn't tell me to count down or nothin', just poof you're asleep.

Fuzzy memories.
I remember the hygienist asking me if I needed to use the bathroom, I really needed too but couldn't figure out how to answer. Not too much later she asked me again, I was able to answer that time and she helped me to the bathroom and back.

I remember waking up to them saying "Margaret you need to breathe. Margaret, wake up and breathe hon." The response in my head was "I am breathing, what's your problem?"
The next time I woke up though I had an oxygen mask over my nose so apparently I didn't do as instructed very well. Either way I survived and I'm very thankful to have been in such capable hands.

I remember pointing to my wrist wanting to know what time it was, 1:00pm. I like knowing the time, I can gage my progress much better that way.

I remember feeling sick on my way out to the van but still very fuzzy. As soon as we got to Chris' parents house I asked for a coke and with one sip was feeling much better. Don't tell the dentist though, do you have any idea what coke does to your teeth?!

I remember getting into the van and could hear Arwen crying but not for very long. Chris told me later that she had been crying most of the day but as soon as she heard my voice in the van she calmed down. It's nice to be loved and missed.

I remember looking in the mirror of the van and seeing my teeth for the first time. I'm so pleased. It's so wonderful to not have a huge hole in your tooth.

All in all, a good day at the dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment