Friday, March 20, 2009

Things I remember

Today is one of my most favorite days of the year. The first day of spring. Spring time brings a flood of memories most are triggered by smell.
Today my grandma's house smelled like her house. My grandma died over a year ago but my bookkeeping office is set up in the spare bedroom. I don't know what it was but I walked in today and it smelled the way it did when I was a little girl. I honestly thought I would turn the corner and there she would be ready to face the day. I miss her.
One of my most favorite smells is clover mixed in the grass. When I was living in Maryland clover was the weed in every one's lawn. My friends and I would dig little holes in the backyard, fill them with water, grass and clover and stir it up with a stick and serve it up like a restaurant. I remember rolling in the clover patches and drinking in the lovely scent.
Ahhh, the smells I love.
Fresh cut grass, with a hint of clover.
Good old Folgers coffee in my grandma's percolator coffee maker.
New box of laundry soap.
Beef roast cooking in the oven.
Payless shoe stores. Don't know why, just like it.
Sunshine.
My shampoo and conditioner.
Chris' body wash. It's the same kind as when we first met, when I close my eyes and smell it it's like I see him again for the first time.
I love spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment