Monday, June 15, 2009

Do as I say

I've been giving advice about children for quite some time now. I'll give advice on just about anything; potty-training, siblings, the quiet kids, the loud kids, the ones that don't want to take their naps.
The ladder is the one that has me writing this post after midnight.

I'm pretty firm when it comes to rules and boundaries, for everyone else's kids but with Arwen it's almost like I have to talk to myself to remember how to deal with kids in the first place. I look back at how little Kale and Micah were able to get away with and Arwen is months behind them! It's like I don't even notice her going for things that would possibly land the boys in a time out.
If a parent were to tell me how their child won't go to bed at night and will just cry and cry until they are rescued my response would be "let them cry it out, bury your head under a pillow and let them cry." Now that I have my own reluctant sleeper I can see the other side. Your own child's voice is so different from the other children that you interact with that you can't help but notice their sorrowful little cries. When I finally snapped out of it and said "Margaret, you're not getting any sleep with her staying up all the time because she doesn't want to go to bed, what would you tell a parent to do?' 'Cry it out.' 'Well there you go, do that."
So I have. It's been 10 minutes and she's just about out. By the way, the first time I did it, it took an hour but she still put herself down, slept great through the night and loved me the next morning. Bonus, I got more sleep and she's able to put herself down.
Ah, silence. Good night and have a peaceful tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment